CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

a duck among women


So it's been forever since I last posted. So much has been going on. Two weeks ago my Grandma Leseberg (or "Guh Ducks" as Bailey nick-named her...because she called all her kids/grandkids/great-grands "DUCKS") passed away at the age of 85 after suffering a stroke. She led a full and complete life...married for 69 years, 5 children, 19 grandchildren, 47 great-grandchildren. She was a remarkable woman and grandmother, and I learned so much from her. I cherish the memories I have, especially of those when I was at Ricks and I'd spend weekends with them. She was also a very funny, and quirky lady that made us laugh. She never served milk from the carton on the table. Whatever was on the table had to be in some sort of fancy serving dish/pitcher. She used a crusty old Tupperware Ham Keeper from the 60's or 70's for holding everything and brought it with her everywhere. She was an amazing cook, but liked to hide and ration her desserts. My favorite story is when she hid brownies in the DRYER to keep my Dad and Uncle out of them (I bet later she cut them up and put them in the infamous Ham Keeper). :) More than anything she loved life, her neighbors, and family more than anything. I will miss Guh Ducks deeply. Here is her obituary...


Wanda Hill Leseberg, 85, passed away at home in St. Anthony, Idaho, on Jan. 12, 2009, from the effects of a stroke.
Wanda was born June 16, 1923, to Hazel Olsen and Guy Wimmer Hill. Wanda was raised in Twin Groves, Idaho, on the family farm.
She married Ralph William Leseberg on Dec. 9, 1939, in Idaho Falls, Idaho, later sealed in the Idaho Falls LDS Temple. They had five children, JoAnn, Diane, Brent, Tessa and Mel. During their lives together, Ralph and Wanda lived in parts of Idaho; Oregon; Connell, Wash.; California; and Provo, Utah. They returned to St. Anthony, Idaho, when they retired. Wanda and Ralph served three missions for the LDS church. The first was a church building mission to California in the 1960s; a proselytizing mission to Melbourne, Australia, in 1988; and with Farm Management at the Wasatch Dixie Farms in Elberta, Utah, in 1998. They were able to travel extensively to Europe, South and Central America, the South Pacific Islands, Canada and most of the United States -- visiting family history and temple sites and family members. Wanda never met a stranger and made friends no matter where she was -- on a mission, the grocery store, the airport, her neighbors and ward, or anywhere there was someone who might not know her yet.
Ralph and Wanda began a tradition of family reunions in 1982 with their children. We traveled to St. Anthony, Idaho; Nauvoo and Belleville, Ill.; Connell, Wash.; Minneapolis, Minn.; Lincoln and Seaside, Ore.; Alpine, Layton and Provo, Utah; and Lander, Wyo. We will miss her so much at this summer's reunion.
Wanda was preceded in death by her parents; all her siblings, Hugh, Coleen, Richard, Betty Mae and Dale; and her daughters, JoAnn Welch and Diane van Soolen. She is survived by her husband of 69 years, Ralph of St. Anthony; sister-in-law, Betty Jean Hill of St. Anthony; sons-in-law, Lon Welch of Connell, Wash., and Rudy (Cheri) Van Soolen of Amity, Ore.; Brent Leseberg (Flor) of Layton, Utah, Tessa Leseberg of Plymouth, Minn., Mel Leseberg (Laura) of Provo, Utah, and Ann Leseberg of Alpine, Utah. She is also survived by 19 grandchildren and 47 great-grandchildren, and numerous cousins, nephews and nieces who adored her.
"Strength and honor are her clothing; ... Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her" (Proverbs 31: 25, 28).
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 16, at the St. Anthony LDS Stake Center, 247 E. 400 North. The family will receive friends from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Bert Flamm Mortuary, 581 E. First North in St. Anthony, and from 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Friday at the church. Burial will be in Wilford Cemetery.



Brynley all dressed up for the funeral. I was lucky to have talked with my grandma several times on the phone in the few weeks between Brynley's birth, and grandma's death. Eventhough Brynley was #47 Great-Grand Duck, my Grandma was just as excited and proud as if it were her first. My Grandma was immensely proud of her ducks. My greatest sadness is that she never got to hold Brynley. The booties and blanket are a present that she sent for Bryn right after she was born. My Grandma made the blanket, and the booties are some that she got in Australia on their mission.


My Grandpa Leseberg and Brynley. He cried when he held Bryn, knowing how much my Grandma would have loved to see/hold her.


My Grandma Dowding (Mom's Mom) and Aunt Christy. Although it was sad to have to go to Idaho for Grandma Leseberg's funeral, it was a great opportunity for my family to see Bryn. (All of my siblings/Aunts/Uncles,etc live in/around Utah/Idaho, only my parents had met Bryn).


Grandpa, Uncle Brent, and my Dad all pow-wowing. My Grandpa is will be 90 in May.


Aunt Tessa (my Dad's sister), and Aunt Flor (Brent's wife).


Kate (my #2 older sister), Sarah, Bob, and Laura Ralston (my #1 oldest sister and family).


Dan and Jenn (my brother and wife).


Brynley spent most of the trip asleep in her 'bucket' (actually it was LaLa's bucket, borrowed for the trip). I was there 4 days and we spent a lot of it driving/flying. Traveling with a newborn was a piece of cake (aside from all the extra clothes/blankets/burp cloths, etc she needs), and Bryn was quite the trooper! It was such a bittersweet visit. I loved everyone meeting Bryn, but was under sad circumstances; and I really wanted to spend more time there, but my family at home really needed me. After all, we had just barely started getting back to 'normal' and settling into a routine.
The morning after the funeral, most everyone was heading home. At my Grandpa's house they had made a huge breakfast and everyone was packed in the house, filling every room. Just how my Grandma would have wanted it.

1 comment:

Mel Leseberg said...

Thanks Looli, I couldn't have said it better about mom duck. I'm so glad you could come and that you had the talks with Guh Duck. She loved you and was very proud of you and your family. We have a lot to live up to. I had to read this a couple of times and quit having leaky eyes, before I could write this.
Pa