CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 21, 2008

toxic update

Just to follow up on the "Toxic Bottle" post...I did throw away all my old bottles and I bought new BPA -Free ones. (big faux pax...I probably should have recycled those toxic time-bombs.) Target had Gerber and Evenflo bottles that are marked "BPA-Free" for $2.99 for 3. I figured peace of mind was worth it. Sorry, but there was no way in h#*% I was going to do glass bottles (even if I could find some). I'm not June Cleaver. More like a Meat Cleaver. And I wasn't about to pay $10 PER bottle for "BornFree". I spent $10 and got 9 bottles!

But here's the kicker...most of the sippy cups and plastic dishes (including real TUPPERWARE!) are NOT bpa free! So, I think I'm going to train Bailey to start drinking from a bottle again. j/k. Here's how you tell...look on the bottom of your plasticware, if it has any of the #'s 1-7 on it, it contains BPA. But not everything is marked. So the recommendation is not to heat anything in plastic. Heat it in a glass/ceramic dish. Oh, but wait? What about the trace levels of lead in those? Basically we're screwed.

I figure we've grown up on plastic, melamine, glass, and probably a lot of lead from those fancy Christmas dishes my mom bought in what was then Czechoslovakia. Aside from minor twitches, I'm okay. If I can find plastic ware that is BPA free and reasonably priced, and readily available, I'll go for it. I probably needed new bottles anyway, and I know I need new sippy cups. The teeth marks in mine are becoming very disturbing. But isn't an almost-5-year-old a little old for sippy cups? Who am I kidding? My mom made me drink out of a sippy cup until I graduated from High School. (No joke. If we had a drink in the family room, it was supposed to have a lid on it!)

Good luck, and Happy Sipping!

2 comments:

L3 said...

Is drinking from a sippy cup at 18 a BAD thing?! I figured we only used those Christmas dishes for a little while, once a year. We can hardly see the extra ear you grew.
This Guh will toss all her bottles (or recyle them) and get new ones for Benson and LaLa to have at my house.
As for Tupperware, mine is so OLD (circa 1975), I can't believe the BPA is worse than the bacteria that most likely thrives on the old, misshapen plastic. :)

Brianne & Jarod said...

I guess we can STEW about this more when I get there. I looked on the bottom of my TRUSTY NALGENE bottles that I have had for almost 5 years...and they are marked with a number 7!! Yup...isn't that great??? I saw some cool water bottles on Opera the other day, and I may invest in some of those...who knows :)